Well, it is a very common way for every human to start a conversation with “how is it going?” Meaning it is something of a conversation starter. It does not matter how well we know a person; sometimes, it is better to break the ice before getting into something deep or having a serious condition. You do not know how their day was or what mood they were in. It is better to know the situation before going directly into it.
But were you aware of the fact that there are multiple ways of responding to the question? The simple icebreaking questions can be answered in multiple ways. Let’s see a few of them.
How To Respond To How’s It Going?
It is better to keep the reply short and crisp if you are not familiar with the person or if you are trying to avoid a conversation with that person. If you are not sure about your day, try to ask them back and flip the question. Put a positive twist on your answer as well to avoid the unpleasant situation that you don’t want to discuss.
1. I’m Doing Good
If you had a good day or are feeling great, then give a positive response. This can never go wrong when you are speaking the truth and expressing your genuine happiness about an amazing day you had. This is a polite and quick answer for your friend as well as a stranger. You can also answer in the following ways to give a short and polite answer.
- I am blessed!
2. Not Great
When you have a bad day or a rough day, it is a short response to would let them know your feelings. Not every day is a good day. If you do not feel that great, you can give these short responses to make your feelings clear.
- Not well, I am not having the best day.
- I’ve been better.
3. It Could Be Worse
This is like putting a positive spin on a bad day. Just to get the conversation on a positive note, this is a good response. This is a situation when you want to talk about it but are not sure if the other person is up for it, so you wait for their reply and then decide if you can discuss the matter with them or not. This is a great way to invite a follow-up question.
- Not good, but the day is still young.
- I’m still breathing, so it is going well.
- Some days you are like the windshield, and some days you are like the bug. Today I am feeling like that bug.
4. Pretty Well, You?
This is giving a quick reply along with a follow-up question. If you are not familiar with the person asking you the question but want to know them better, this can be your response. Make a statement about how you are and then ask them in return how they are to keep the conversation going.
- I’m doing good. How are you?
- I’m well! How have you been?
- Alright, I think. Tell me about you, how is it going with you?
5. I Have Been Good. Thank You For Asking!
This is a way of letting them know that you are glad that they have shown some concern. It doesn’t matter if you talking with a stranger or a friend; it is always good to let others know how much they mean to you. After that, you guys can catch up with further details or end the conversation here if you want.
- It is so nice of you to ask, I’m doing good.
- Thank you for showing concern. It has been really busy around here lately.
- It is very sweet of you to ask. I am okay, but it won’t be nice to have someone to talk to.
6. I’m Great, Thanks! How Is Your Office Going?
It is better to ask a specific question when you know the person well. You can ask them about that specific topic if you know that they are tense with that or are dealing with something. Ask them, express your concerns towards them, and keep the conversation going. This can be a good way of avoiding questions about yourself as well.
- I am good. But what about you? How is the case going?
- I am good, but tell me, how are the preparations going for the marriage?
- I’m doing well, but how was your family dinner?
7. To Be Honest With You, I Wish It Was Already Friday.
Mention something that others can relate to as well. This is a reply you give when you are trying to show a particular side of your personality or trying to show something off. You can reply in the following ways as well.
- The sun is still shining, so I can’t complain.
- It is only 14 days till Thanksgiving, and that is where my mind is.
- I had a great lunch today, and that is the best thing about my week.
8. It Would Have Been Better If You Were Here
This is something you only tell someone who is close to you, like your partner or someone you are flirting with. Be blunt and romantic with the person whose company you are craving. Let them know that talking to them makes your day better.
- The gloomy day got a lot brighter by your text.
- Just wishing that you could be here to make my day a little bit better.
- It would have been a lot better if we were together right now.
There are plenty of other ways of responding to the question of how to respond to how’s it going or what is going on. It depends on you and your mood, or the person who is asking the question, how you will respond to the question. Decide for yourself how you want to respond, be polite and ask something in return if you want to continue with the conversation, or just politely put it down with your answer. Next time anyone asks you how is it going, remember what we discussed in this article.